WordPress has a built-in feature to install themes and plugins by supplying a zip file. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade a theme or plugin using the same process. Instead, WordPress will say “destination already exists” when trying to upgrade using a zip file and will fail to upgrade the theme or plugin.
Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades fixes this limitation in WordPress by automatically upgrading the theme or plugin if it already exists.
While upgrading, a backup copy of the old theme or plugin is first created. This allows you to install the old version in case of problems with the new version.
First install and activate this plugin – Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades,
then follow the below steps:
- Download the latest zip file for your plugin.
- Log into your WordPress site.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Click the “Upload Plugin” button at the top of the page.
- Select the zip file with the new plugin version to install.
- Click the “Install Now” button.